Back to Top

Truck Accident Case Settlements

What to Expect in Your Truck Accident Case Settlement

Case settlements in truck accidents can range drastically depending on the circumstances of the case. Many times the amount in a settlement is determined by the extent of the injuries and the past and future medical expenses associated with the injuries. For this reason, it is imperative to save all medical records regarding any treatment that you received as a result of the accident. Truck and Car Crash

Furthermore, a court will look at lost wages, both past, and future. If you were unable to work as a result of the accident, you might be entitled to economic damages related to wages you should have earned and those you might receive in the future but are unable to because of your injuries.

You can also receive compensation for any property damage sustained as a result of the truck accident. If your vehicle was damaged, you would want to show evidence of the damage that resulted from the crash.

Non-Economic Damages

In some cases, you may be able to recover non-economic damages. Recovery for things like pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life is harder to put an exact dollar amount on. Some states have caps on the amount that can be awarded for non-economic damages. You will want to show how the accident impacted your daily life – for instance, if you are no longer able to get behind the wheel of a car, have unbearable stress or anxiety as a result of the accident, you may be able to recover these damages.

Punitive Damages

Some jurisdictions allow individuals to recover punitive damages as a result of a personal injury case. These damages are designed to penalize the defendant or parties responsible for the injury. Punitive damages are usually awarded in extreme cases with severe injuries that result from gross negligence or willful disregard for the safety of others. Punitive damages are also awarded when a commercial truck driver is operating the vehicle under the influence of a drug or alcohol or if the company is in gross violation of required safety regulations.